Monday, August 08, 2011

Guns And Drugs

Evidently, our Drug Warriors, stung by a lack of success, have decided to throw in their lot with the ATF in order to drum up support for a bigger drug war.

The head of the Drug Enforcement Administration has admitted that the agency knew about and played a role in "Operation Fast and Furious," a botched gunrunning program that allowed more than 2,000 firearms to "walk" across the border into Mexico.

In a letter to the House Committee on Oversight, obtained by the LA Times, DEA administrator Michele Leonhart wrote that DEA agents in Phoenix and El Paso were "indirectly involved" in the Fast and Furious operation run by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF). The letter states that the DEA had no "decision-making role" in Fast and Furious.

Leonhart's letter marks the first time another law enforcement agency, other than the ATF, has acknowledged working on Fast and Furious.
I have been saying something in my e-mails, but I haven't said much in public. Let me correct that:

Drug Prohibition is a stalking horse for Gun Prohibition.


I have been saying that in other words for quite a while. See a couple of my more recent posts:

The Drug War – It Is Not Just For Dopers Anymore

Guns And The Drug War

Today I thought I'd make it explicit. I also want to ask a question: "Why is the gun rights community so silent about one of the chief threats to their rights: The Drug War?"

It is not just the fecklessness of the pols that is ruining the country. It is also the silence of the masses (specifically gun owners in this case). We are getting the government we deserve with all the corruption and murdering that goes with any prohibition regime.

Cross Posted at Classical Values

No comments: