Monday, September 29, 2008

Another Democrat For McCain

Another Clinton backer endorses McCain.

As Barack Obama and John McCain battle for the Hispanic vote, a leading Latino backer of Hillary Clinton is crossing party lines to support the Republican presidential nominee.

In an interview Thursday, Miguel D. Lausell, a Puerto Rican businessman and longtime Democratic activist and fund-raiser, came out for Sen. McCain. While he said he doesn't agree with all the policy positions of the Republican candidate and his running mate, Sarah Palin, Mr. Lausell added: "I find McCain to be a sound person and a man with a track record. I know where he is coming from." Mr. Lausell had been a major backer of Bill Clinton and served as a senior political adviser to Sen. Clinton's unsuccessful bid this year for the Democratic presidential nomination.

Mr. Lausell said he feels Sen. Obama "doesn't really regard the Hispanic community as important." Sen. Clinton won a large majority of the Hispanic vote in most primaries, and Latino voters are an important bloc in swing states such as Florida, Nevada and New Mexico. Most polls show Sen. Obama leads Sen. McCain among Latinos.
That may swing more than a few votes.

Let me add that there is a lot of bad blood between Latinos and blacks. The way the Latinos see it, fair or not, is this: Latinos mow lawns, blacks collect welfare. If the shift becomes major it could see a further cracking of the Democrat coalition.

Cross Posted at Classical Values

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thats exactly how many latino people see it. fair or not. my wife is latin, first gen immigrant, her father is here with permanent res. status other family is here, many of my best friends (I lived for what seemed like much of my life in new mexico, and I buried my first wife in new mexico) are latino, and one thing I can say of all my family and friends ive associated with is a work ethic that said I will work harder and longer than the guy next to me. I will not fail my family, what ever the job is, even if it kills me I will do it. and they rightly or wrongly view many blacks as whiners, who game the system, blame others for thier predicament, and want something for nothing, including a paycheck sans hard work. ive had conversations with friends and family who have said thier personal experience with black poeple is that any time they have run into black people in businesses they are rude mean and angry. not helpful or any other thing you would want from someone your interacting with in a service situation. I have had experiences go both ways personally. and this is subjective stuff but it is some of the coversations ive had or listened to from friends and family in both english and spanish.

I can imagine many blacks are angry at latinos becuase they see just another immigrant gorup coming here and stepping up before they have had thier chance, after being second class citizens untill just the last 30 years give or take.