Friday, January 11, 2008

Another Blog Burst For Fred

Eric has put up another Fred Blog Burst For Fred. Again I'm going to crib from Eric at Classical Values.

This is the second time I've linked Rick Moran's Fred Thompson Blogburst (which Glenn Reynolds linked earlier today), and I'm linking it again because I feel strongly that Fred Thompson -- while not perfect -- is the best all-around Republican candidate for people with views similar to mine.

As I stressed the last time, I don't ask readers for much. Hell, I'm not asking readers for anything. Only that they consider donating to Fred Thompson's campaign.

Once again, I remind readers that I do not have a tip jar. Instead, I occasionally ask people to donate to one worthy cause or another.

I suppose some will say that considering his poor performance in New Hampshire, Fred Thompson is a lost cause. To that I'd say that in this insane race in which no one is truly ahead, no cause can be said to be lost yet. But even if you think it's a lost cause, I'd point to history, which is replete with "lost causes" which turned out not to be lost. England was said to be a "lost cause" after Hitler attacked. (Ask Churchill about lost causes.) And in his last blogburst, Rick Moran analogized to Washington's crossing. (Another nearly lost cause, but a retreat led to later victory.)

Remember, this time it's not New Hampshire; it's South Carolina.

Thompson desperately needs to win in South Carolina in order to continue to be a viable candidate. And there are several factors at play in the Palmetto State that makes a Thompson win a realistic goal:

1. Romney has dropped out of the running in SC, having pulled his ads and is transferring staff in order to ambush John McCain in Michigan.

2. That leaves only three candidates with a realistic shot at winning in SC; Huckabee, McCain, and Thompson. Amazingly, none of the three candidates will have an overwhelming advantage when it comes to financing. This levels the playing field considerably.
If Thompson can win South Carolina, he has a shot at the nomination. Remember, right now there is no clear winner, and it's still up for grabs.

As a member of the unorganized and unorganizable group of nonconformists who could be called "small 'l' libertarian bloggers who support the war," I sincerely believe that no other candidate comes closer to being a political match for this group than Fred Thompson. If you fit into that category, you owe it to yourself to donate now to Fred Thompson's campaign.

Hell, I feel so strongly about this that I'd be willing to cry like Hillary (or even like this guy) if I thought it might work.

Hmmm...

Tell you what. I'll spare the tears if you go donate now!

No comments: